Saturday, September 1, 2012

NFL Preseason Power Poll Part 3


The next category of teams I am ranking are the teams that I consider to be playoff contenders.  These are teams I don’t see as Super Bowl contenders but either as solid playoff teams or teams that will be fighting for a playoff spot. 
1.       Atlanta Falcons
I really can’t believe that I have the Falcons this high in the ranking.  They will probably win 10 games win a division and have a home playoff game.  Do I see the Falcons winning the Super Bowl no… but they still are a pretty consistent team that you know what you are getting every week.  Considering I see down years coming from the Saints and Panthers then the Falcons will probably be the main beneficiary from that.  They have a solid quarterback, a great receiving core, a solid running game and a solid defense.  To me they have all the tools of a team that is can win in the playoffs and not good enough possibly to win a playoff game and definitely not good enough to win the Super Bowl.
2.       San Francisco 49ers
Last year the 49ers came out of nowhere to win the NFC West and came within a muffed punt of going to the Super Bowl.  However I just don’t think they are as good as they were last year.  They had almost no injuries last year and their turnover differential was unfathomably good.  I think because of their signings of Randy Moss and Mario Manningham their offense will actually be worse.  Last year at last their offense never turned the ball over, this year involves Alex Smith taking shots down field and to me that means a few more touchdowns and a lot more interceptions.  The only reason I see them doing this well is that their defense is probably still the best in football and the division they play in is extremely week.  Overall though a team with Alex Smith at quarterback
3.       Buffalo Bills
Am I overrating the Bills because I’m at Bill fan? Probably!  Really though I think the Bills are a very scary team this year that is going to win a wild card spot.  They have a great running game, and a great defensive line.  Personally though, and I feel like I’m getting repetitive with this, it comes down to the play of the quarterback.  Ryan “the Amish Rifle” Fitzpatrick was a great quarterback until he broke his ribs and from that point forward he was average at best.  I think that Fitz can come back and be the player he was before he broke his ribs so he can lead the Bills into the playoffs.  They have a great deal of elite players like Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, and Marcell Dareus.  I’m in on the Bills so much because this is probably the most talented Bills team since I became a fan and I have to think that they are going to be a playoff team. 
4.       Dallas Cowboys
Honestly now we are at the three teams which I honestly don’t know how good they are going to do.  The top 3 teams in the NFC East are all good, extremely talented, and extremely inconsistent and unpredictable teams.  So my thought pattern is that the Cowboys and the Giants were basically talent wise the same team last year, it came down to Miles Austin losing a pass in the lights.  So to me the Cowboys had the better offseason and despite some major injury worries on offense I think their defense is going to be much better than last year.  I think their offense is still very talented with the now underrated Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant among other weapons. 
5.       New York Giants
Who are the New York Giants?  Are they the team that was quite lucky to win 9 games and only beat one playoff team in doing so, or are they the team that went through the playoffs beating the Falcons, Packers and Patriots?  This team has great players all over the field but they are also really bad at other things.  I have no idea how they are going to be this year, all I know is that they have a great passing game and defensive line, a decent back 7 and a horrible running game.  This team got outscored last year and then ended up winning the Super Bowl.  Personally though I just think the team is way too inconsistent for them to be any better than about a 9-7 team.
6.       Philadelphia Eagles
The Eagles have the most talented team that I am not putting in the Super Bowl contenders and possibly have the most talented team in the league.  The biggest issue is that I don’t see Michael Vick staying healthy for a full season and without Vick I don’t see the Eagles being successful.  They have a strong running game, but part of that is having Vick, and statistically running quarterbacks like Vick have a tendency to make the team’s running game much more effective.  This has shown to be the case through Vick, Newton and Tebow among other players.  The defense should be better than last season as the defensive coordinator now has some experience under his belt and should utilize players like Nnamdi Asomugha better this season.  Who knows this team could easily win double digit games and be a high playoff seed but right now I can’t see them being an elite team.  Also for all Bills fans out there Trent Edwards is there 3rd string quarterback… do with that whatever you like.  
7.       New Orleans Saints
The Saints last season were an elite football team with an elite offense and an elite coach whose combined prowess of those 2 players is probably only exceeded by the Patriots.  However the Saints just had way too many issues this offseason for me to think that they were going to be successful.  Their top 5 coach in football is suspended the entire season and his replacement is suspended for the 1st 6 games.   This combined with multiple important defense players facing suspension, most notable among them Jonathon Vilma.  The Saints defense will be so bad this season, and I have to think that the offense is going to be less sharp so it is hard for me to see the Saints being an elite team.  This is a team that will probably be fighting for a playoff spot and I think will be lucky to get it. 
8.       Detroit Lions
Since 2008 the Lions have made the progression in wins from 0 to 2 to 7 to 10.  Based on this progression it would seem that the Lions were about to break through and have an elite season.  There is a strong case for this to happen but personally I don’t think that it will.  For one I think Stafford is an elite quarterback in this league and will probably win a Super Bowl and could win league MVPs at some point but right now I think he is in for a bit of a letdown.  I’m expecting a bit more picks and a bit worse production from Stafford and since the team is built around him throwing to Calvin Johnson I see them being a bit worse than last season.  Really though this is a team built around offense that only has one elite level target for Stafford, so if Johnson’s level of play even slips a bit the offense could fall off substantially. 
9.       San Diego Chargers
Now we get to the team that is probably going to go out of its way to attempt to lose this division.  Year after year the Chargers have the best team in the division but shoot themselves in the foot and end up losing it.  This year though I think the Chargers don’t have a supremely talented team, but they do have one that might be good enough to win it.  They are flying under the radar and if Rivers improves his play even a little from last season then why wouldn’t the Chargers be just a bit better than last season.  Rivers interceptions increased substantially from his career norms and if you look at when that happens to a quarterback then the numbers usually bounce back to their normal numbers the season after.  Eli Manning for example, he led the league in picks 2 seasons ago and then the season after was an elite quarterback leading the Giants to the Super Bowl.
10.   Denver Broncos
Having the Chargers above them tells you all one thing about this season; I don’t see Peyton Manning’s Broncos as a playoff team this year.  Actually the only reason I am even putting them here is out of respect for Peyton Manning.  The problem is that even if Manning returns to his level of play that he was in his last season he played then I’m not sure that’s good enough to make the playoffs.  The problem that everyone seems to be forgetting is that the Broncos were extremely lucky to get to 8 wins last season and really should have been a 5 or 6 win team.  So if you are going off of that basis is Manning good enough to lead a bad football team to 9 or 10 wins? I don’t think so.  That is of course going of the basis that he is going to stay healthy which I’m not sure if you know this but he has had 4 major neck surgeries so that is not a guarantee.  If Manning does miss some time they have Caleb Hannie as the backup quarterback.  Who is Caleb Hannie? Only arguably the worst quarterback in NFL history.  Hannie is like if you Tim Tebow except he threw a lot more picks, couldn’t run the ball well and didn’t have a Jesus like ability to win games.  There is also the problem that the rest of the team isn’t good at all, they have a bad receiving core, a running game elevated by Tebow and an extremely overrated defense.  That’s why I really don’t see the Broncos as a playoff team but because they play in a weak division and do have Peyton Manning I will give them a shot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment