Saturday, September 22, 2012

NFL Week 3 Picks



 New York Giants (+2.5) over Carolina Panthers
Yes the game already took place, but I actually did pick the Giants to win.  The Giants were on the road, had a ton of injuries, on a short week facing a team they didn’t matchup with well.  This is exactly the type of game that the Giants come to play and did so with a dominating effort over the Panthers.
Chicago Bears (-7.5) over St. Louis Rams
I know the Bears and Jay Cutler looked especially bad last week and the Rams were impressive in their win over the Redskins, but I still like the Bears this week.  The Bears’ defense is still really good and I have serious difficulty believing that the Rams will be able to score on them.  The Rams on the other hand I’m still not totally sold on yet.  This team was horrible last year and that defense still has serious issues when it comes to stopping teams.  I see the Bears winning this week probably easier than they should as Cutler has a big day while Sam Bradford struggles.
Buffalo Bills (-3) over Cleveland Browns
I am not very confident about the Bills this week as they have a must win game against the Cleveland Browns.  Despite looking pretty good in their 2nd game I am still not totally sold on the team and its quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.  However they are playing the Cleveland Browns with their 28 year old rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden.  So in my mind I cannot justify picking against my favorite team in a must win game where they are playing Brandon Weeden.
Dallas Cowboys (-7.5) over Tampa Bay Buccaneers
This is one of the hardest games of the week to pick for me because I really could see this game going in many directions.  Tony Romo might just be on fire and come up and throw some bombs to Dez Bryant, Miles Austin and company as they light up the scoreboard and dominate the game.  I could see a solid back and forth game that comes down to whatever quarterback makes a play at the end.  Really this game could go in many directions, but I see a rebound week for Romo and the Cowboys.  I think the homefield advantage, definitely aided by the replacement refs comes into play as well.
Detroit Lions (-3.5) over Tennessee Titans
I think 2 weeks into the NFL season it has become quite clear that the Titans just aren’t that good.  They have been dominated by the Patriots and Chargers and I don’t see week 3 going any better for them.  While the Lions are a flawed team they still have Calvin Johnson and enough playmakers on both sides of the ball to make this game a rout early.
Indianapolis Colts (-3) over Jacksonville Jaguars
Ok the point spread is 3 points which means that the Colts and Jaguars are about equal in quality(for those who don’t know it’s a general rule of thumb that Vegas gives the home team 3 points).  I strongly disagree if only based on the assertion that the Colts have Andrew Luck while the Jaguars have Blaine Gabbert.  I think the Colts proved last week that they can be competent enough outside of Luck while Blaine Gabbert proved last week that he is in fact still Blaine Gabbert.
New York Jets (-2.5) over Miami Dolphins
Through two games this season I have absolutely no idea how good the Jets are.  Really it comes down to Mark Sanchez and is he closer to the quarterback that picked apart the Bills defense or the quarterback who could barely complete a pass against the Pittsburgh Steelers.  Personally I don’t think it will matter this week playing the Jets because they have Darrelle Revis coming back whose presence alone should give Ryan Tannehill fits. 
San Francisco 49ers (-7) over Minnesota Vikings
I’m instituting a new rule this week.  Don’t pick against the 49ers for any point spread within a reasonable margin until further notice.  Right now this team looks like the best team in all of football and I don’t see them playing a close game against anyone right now.  I actually like some of the things that the Vikings have going for them right now and they are headed in a good direction, but no picking against Jim Harbough.
New Orleans Saints (-9) over Kansas City Chiefs
I am not comfortable at all with this pick.  Through two weeks the Saints haven’t been impressive at all and seem to really be missing the presence of Sean Payton.  However the Chiefs have looked like they might be the worst team in all of football.  The offense and defense both look pathetic and I don’t see them getting better any time soon.  So I will uncomfortably predict the Saints to blow this game out by I don’t feel good about it.
Washington Redskins (-3) over Cincinnati Bengals
This pick has more to do with my not being sold on the Bengals to me being sold on the Redskins.  For one though with this game I think playing at home should save RGIII from some of the cheap shots he was subject to in last week’s game.  I see RGIII having a big game this week as I still think it will take some time for teams to figure out how to defend against him.  The Bengals aren’t that good and I don’t see them pulling out a tough game against a talented opponent on the road.
Arizona Cardinals (+4) over Philadelphia Eagles
Last week proved that the Cardinals defense is really good, and I think two weeks into the season proved that Michael Vick is going to turn the ball over a lot this year.  I see this as a disastrous combination for the Eagles this week as Kevin Kolb manages the game and the Cardinals come home victorious.  Really right now after the performance they put forth against the Patriots, they have to be treated with respect.  I have a hard time going through the thought process of picking against them when they are home.
Atlanta Falcons (+3) over San Diego Chargers
While I am in no way sold that the Falcons are a Super Bowl contender this year I am much less sold on the Chargers starting 3-0.  Norv Turner football teams don’t start 3-0, that is one thing that I have definitely learned from watching football during the Norv Turner era.  The Falcons are a talented and consistent enough team where I see them winning against the Chargers and getting their record to a solid 3-0.
Denver Broncos (+2) over Houston Texans
This week’s game is a pick on Peyton Manning over anything else.  While the results were mixed last week I still see the Broncos coming through for a big victory this week on the arm of Peyton.  This game is much more important for the Broncos than it is for the Texans anyway, as the Broncos play a hard schedule in a competitive division while the Texans are in the AFC South, possibly the worst division in football.  I think Peyton comes to play this week and delivers a big victory for the Broncos.
Pittsburgh Steelers (-4) over Oakland Raiders
I am totally sold on the Steelers this season and still think the team will be fighting right to the end to get to the Super Bowl.  The team is tough hardnosed and physically demanding to play against both offensively and defensively.  Also I don’t think that Carson Palmer will be able to have continued success against the Steelers great defense.  Big Ben comes through for a few big plays as the Steelers win a game on the road.
New England Patriots (+3) over Baltimore Ravens
There has been a lot of fawning this year about how good the Ravens are, and how them and Joe Flacco are ready to make the next step, personally I don’t buy it.  I’m not sold on Flacco or that offense in general and I think the defense is worse than it appears.  I’m predicting Brady and that Patriots come prepared and have a big week with Gronkowski making big plays all over the field.  People are underestimating the sleeping giant that is the New England Patriots as they make their way to a big victory this week.
Seattle Seahawks (+3.5) over Green Bay Packers
I see the Packers moving to under .500 as they eclipse their loss total from last year’s regular season in week 3 of this year.  While the Packers are very good and will still be a Super Bowl contender this year I like the Seahawks at home on Monday Night Football.  The crowd will be crazy and I think that combining that with the replacement refs I think that some calls will be going Seattle’s way.  I think Russell Wilson manages the game and lets his defense and running game make the plays necessary to win the game. 
Me:
Last Week: 8-6-2
Overall: 15-16-2
Taylor:
Last Week: 7-7-2
Overall: 15-16-2
Stay Hungry My Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment