Thursday, August 30, 2012

NFL Preseason Power Poll Part 2


For Part 2 of my power rankings I’m going to be ranking teams that I consider to me mediocre.  These are teams that I don’t see contending for playoff spots but I don’t see having an awful season either.
1.       Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Last season everything that could go wrong for the Buccaneers did last season.  They fought of injuries, kept turning the ball over, had an extremely difficult schedule and quit on their coach.  This season however I see a dramatic change in a team that actually could end up contending for a playoff spot.  They have a brand new coach, they signed a boatload of valuable free agents, and I see a bounce back season from Josh Freeman.  Actually the only reason I don’t see them as a playoff contender is that last season I’m not sure if the team had any talent whatsoever.  While I see significant improvements coming for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers I don’t think that they will be quite enough to take the team into playoff contention.
2.       Oakland Raiders
Who knows maybe I am dead wrong about this Raiders team, to me they have the possibilities of being a top playoff seed or could even be a train wreck, really anything is possible with them.  To me everything comes down to two things, the health of Darren McFadden and the play of Carson Palmer.  When healthy Darren McFadden might be the most talented back in football who can take over games whenever he wants, but in 4 NFL season McFadden is yet to play a full season so I think banking on that happening is unlikely.  This then puts the bulk of the load on Carson Palmer’s right arm.  I think Palmer is going to be a strikingly mediocre quarterback this season who makes big plays but for every play he makes gives up 1 or 2.  This defense is awful though and with questions about McFadden’s health then Palmer will have to be a lot better than mediocre to contend for a playoff spot.
3.       Indianapolis Colts
I know I know the Colts were a team that last season almost went winless after losing Peyton Manning and this season they don’t have Peyton Manning.  Personally though I think that this is the wrong way to look at the Colts.  To me you have to look at the Colts as a team that was replacing a Pro Bowl quarterback in 2010 with in 2011 was probably the worst quarterback play in the league.  If Andrew Luck is as good as everyone believes him to be then considering the recent track record of rookie quarterbacks being successful right away then Luck this season will probably be closer to 2010 Peyton, who wasn’t at his best, then most people realize.  I still don’t believe Luck will match that level, and considering I think the talent on these past 3 teams is probably about equal the Colts could easily improve substantially next season. 
4.       Seattle Seahawks
I was so disappointed by the Seahawks decision to start Russell Wilson over Matt Flynn this season.  To me the Seahawks were a sleeper team that I thought was going to win the NFC West and shock everybody.  This is a team that last season while going 7-9 with its only weakness being average play from the quarterback position.  This team is above average at every other aspect of the game except for quarterback play now I believe.  Who knows maybe Russell Wilson will prove me wrong but I don’t think as a small rookie quarterback that Wilson will be successful right away. 
5.       Cincinnati Bengals
To me last year’s Bengals team was a team that utilized an easy schedule to sneak into the playoffs when they didn’t really belong there.  They are average at just about everything and went 9-7 last season, with a tougher schedule I see them as an above .500 team.  While Dalton might progress a little I don’t think it will be enough to offset their tougher schedule.  If there is any team destined to have a Buccaneers like fall, who dropped from 10-6 to 4-12 then I think it will be the Bengals.
6.       New York Jets
There is a good chance that I am mitigating the Jets too much do to the fact that I’m a Bills fan and don’t like the team that much.  On the other hand to me there are a lot of reasons to think that the Jets won’t be that good next season.  They have a coach and quarterback who seem to be wearing out their welcome, playing with the New York media surrounding you this is always dangerous.  They have a defense that isn’t getting any younger and declined last season.  The Jets also have a running game that while pretty good is not at the level that it used to be.  There is also the issue of the whole Tebowmania.  While I like Tebow and think that at some point he can be successful in this league I think this year it hurts the Jets and most notably Mark Sanchez as the season progresses. 
7.       Washington Redskins
For me I could easily see the Redskins season developing very similarly to Carolina’s from last season.  I think RGIII will probably have some success out of the gate as teams adjust to his playing style and his ability to run.  However as the season progresses he will probably slow down a bit and forced to make adjustments after the season.  This team was a 5 win team with John Beck and Sexy Rexy last year so I think that the team will probably be about that good if not better next season with RGIII at the helm.
8.       Tennessee Titans
Last year’s Titans were 1 game away from making the playoffs with Matt Haselbeck at the helm.  This season I don’t see them being as successful with Jake Locker at the helm.  The defense is good and the running game is good, but from everything I have heard Locker is not NFL ready.  He will struggle throughout the season and I don’t believe that Tennessee is a talented enough team outside of the quarterback position to recover.
9.       Carolina Panthers
To me this is a classic opportunity for a team to regress.  The team improved substantially from the season before with great strides in the quarterback position.  Cam Newton though I think is in for a bit of a sophomore slump.  He started the season unbelievably well, playing like a top 10 quarterback.  As the season progressed however teams became more and more effective at playing against Newton and he began to struggle.  While I like Newton and believe at some point he will be a star in this league I think he is going to be in for a tough 2nd season.  Also the defense is very bad and I don’t see it improving over its efforts from last year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment