Saturday, June 9, 2012

Prometheus Review


Today’s column will be the first non-sports related column that the blog has had in a while.  While the world of sports is always fun and fascinating it is always good to know that there are things outside of sports that exist, like movies for instance.  So in this post I will be reviewing the movie Prometheus which I just saw. 
First of all I think it is good to start from is to understand my attachment to the Alien franchise.  Before I had seen Prometheus all I had seen in the franchise was the first movie of the series, Alien, and I had seen that almost directly prior to my watching of the film.  This put me in the position of understanding the links and connections between the original movie and the prequel, but without being extremely emotionally attached to the series where I would consider myself a huge fan.  So I neither went into the movie as a lifelong fan of the series, or completely oblivious to the series, but somewhere in between.
So on to the review.  Overall I thought that Prometheus was one of the more interesting sci-fi movies I have seen in a while.  It had amazing special effects, I saw it in 3D and would highly recommend doing so, that did not distract form the film but definitely added to it.  The visual effects kept me at the edge of my seat in any scenes that attempted to provoke terror, and I was enthralled whenever they showed off the amazing landscapes that they created.  I would say that if anyone is looking to go see a movie just for special effects this is right up there with Avengers this summer for some of the most impressive I have seen.
However the film is much more than about special effects or cool images.  It has a deeply interesting plot that while appearing farfetched seems quite real when you are watching it.  It goes over themes about the origin of humanity and why it even exists.  I was always entertained by the plot and kept seeking more and more as I awaited each scene and wanted my questions answered.  The cast keeps you emotionally invested in the characters who all seem to do admirable jobs. 
Really though if you want to go to the core of the film look no further than Michael Fassbender’s performance as the android David.  Really if you are looking for any reason to see this movie it would just to see the character David in action.  Whether or not you like him or dislike him every scene you cannot help but being enamored by the character as he steals almost every scene he is in.  His complete objectivity and lack of human morality is almost a shock to watch as he is unwilling to do anything that is necessary to achieve his goals. Anyone who wants a glimpse of it should watch this trailer for the film showcasing  David.
I would say that in regards to the film Alien, Prometheus was always attached to the film and made multiple references to it, but I never felt it was bogged down by Alien.  It was able to develop its own standalone plot that wouldn't require someone to see Alien to enjoy.  
Overall I would say if not for Fassbender’s performance I would give the film 3.5/4 stars, but his performance carries Prometheus and pushes the film up to 4/4 stars territory.  I would highly recommend seeing the film; it is a great summer blockbuster that provides great action while bringing a great plot that keeps you wanting more. 
Stay Hungry My Friends 

No comments:

Post a Comment