Friday, June 22, 2012

Game 5 Running Diary... Drebot Edition


                For my first running diary for the Hungry Dog, an idea I shamelessly am stealing from Bill Simmons, I am going to be doing Game 5 of the NBA Finals.  Please enjoy reading as OKC attempts to make this a legitimate series or the Heat win and Lebron officially takes his place among the greatest the game has ever seen.  I’m saying that OKC is going to win tonight, but that is more out of hope that the series continues then me actually believing it.  Really though I can’t see OKC losing 4 games in a row, come on this team just destroyed the greatest basketball team I had ever seen, they can’t beat the Heat twice.  My cousin Evan will also be here watching the game; his main contribution will most likely be preventing me from killing Kendrick Perkins. 
PreGame: Juwan Howard honoring an army vet, I always enjoy seeing him making contributions.  Also he is trending on twitter so clearly I am not alone in my thought process. 
                Ok seeing this pregame highlight package of Finals games is awesome, I’m pumped so many awesome moments. 
                Showing some Lebron Stats and Highlights, hey this guy is really really really good at basketball.
                One Solid Prediction for the night is that Durant is going for at least 35 points and 10 rebounds, people are talking about his lack of rebounding too much, and he knows that he has to play big tonight and I think he responds.
12:00 First Quarter,  Miami wins opening tip and OKC forces a contested long two good start.
11:22, Scratch that, Lebron just killed the basket with that dunk
11:03, A post play to Kendrick Perkins, I’m convinced that Brooks is trying to kill me.
9:24, Sloppy start for both teams this favors OKC I believe, they can take Perkins out
9:09, Thabo misses his 200th layup of the series I believe
8:15, Great play by Durant, nice stepback that’s his shot, get it inside then shoot, if he keeps doing that then OKC can win this game
7:43, Westbrook is really good at basketball, I’m a believer in his ability you can win with him. 
7:25, Battier refuses to regress to the mean as he makes another 3
6:38, 2nd foul on Wade, saying in the game, if I’m Miami I think it is the right play
5:56, Wow there is a good chance that Lebron is taking over this game by himself with another And 1, and Miami is up 6
I’m not sure if I have mentioned this before but Lebron is amazing at basketball and I’m pretty sure I haven’t played someone who has played this well.
4:43 KENDRICK PERKINS JUST SCORED! We are both in shock right now how did that happen
4:20 He gives that back as Bosh blows right by him for a layup as it’s a 6 point game
Also Evan just brought up a random recommendation; look up Scottie Brooks on twitter
3:45, Perkins has to leave the game right now after he gives up another Bosh layup as Miami is up 7, it’s really a laughing matter watching him play defense.  If Brooks doesn’t take him out during this timeout we have serious issues.
Dark Knight Rises trailer, pure joy right there I am so excited for that movie
3:23, Perkins still in the game, I am literally about to murder somebody and then Derek Fisher is entering the game and thank God it’s for Perkins
2:53, I just saw Mike Miller hit a 3, that might be the first time I have seen that happen, and I’m not even joking about that, which is pretty sad for a 3 point shooter
2:10 Nick Collison just did the coolest tip in ever to cut the lead to 6
1:50, Now I’m really confused because Miller hit another 3
1:00 Norris Cole hits a 3 as Miami goes up 9, he had the worst PER in the league I’m pretty sure, utter bewilderment
After the first Miami up 31-26, interesting position, Perkins is not in which is an advantage for OKC.  I thought Miami played really well in that quarter so to only be up 5 is a disappointment.
Brooks between quarter interview disappointing not very Popovich like
11:50 2nd , Westbrook another and 1, he is coming to play again
10:48, Miller with Fisher have back to back 3 pointers, I don’t understand basketball
10:22, I like Harden, but really this flopping needs to stop, it really takes away from his the awesomeness that his Beard brings to the table
Timeout and Evan complaining about Wi-Fi, and commercials, always good entertainment
8:48 Derek Fisher makes another shot to make it a 4 point game, super clutch, definitely not a waste of space most of the time
8:01, As Wade is going to the line again I’m wondering where Thabo has disappeared to, he has been out way too long now
7:30, Fisher just attempted to guard Chris Bosh in the post, I don’t know a circumstance where that is ok
Evan reminds me of the necessity of Perkins reentering the game soon, very few players can play up to his caliber of ability.  He is the greatest basketball player ever without question really it’s no debate
Great integration with the NBA Finals and Spiderman commercial, it makes a lot of sense and doesn’t seem random.
7:00 JUST AS I NOTICE PERKINS IS IN AND HE GETS BLOWN BY, BY LEBRON! WHY IS HE IN??????? Neither Ibaka nor Thabo is in right now
6:47, There is a start as Ibaka is in for Fisher
6:09 Perkins fails to dunk, is this a joke right now
5:46, 12 point game, Miami is on a run good timeout by OKC right here, they need to make some plays and cut this lead
5:35, 3rd foul on Wade don’t really understand the call and now he goes to the bench
5:00, Seriously another Miller 3 to make it a 15 point game
4:42, Turnover and Lebron layup this is getting out of hand
3:18, Lebron at the free throw line, OKC hasn’t been able to do anything with Wade out, I wonder if this has anything to do with the presence of Perkins
2:40, Battier just drove to score, under what circumstance is that possible
2:20, Big 3 by Durant, they needed that to cut the lead to 12, 57-45 Miami right now
Expendables 2 Trailer, which reminds me, you know who is expendable for OKC in this series, Kendrick Perkins!
1:50, Perkins out, Ibaka in! I am pleased to see this
Horrible play to end the half by OKC, ending with an airball by Ibaka.  The half ends with Miami up 59-49, but I think it could be a lot worse for OKC.  The comeback is still possible, and Durant right now has 14 points and 6 rebounds, he will need a big 2nd half to make my prediction correct.
11:40, Didn’t watch halftime show but come back in perfect time to see awesome Durant 3
11:00, saw OKC make a mistake and naturally blamed Perkins, wasn’t his fault but I feel like that should mean something
10:10, Chalmers hits another 3, when Miami is hitting the outside shot they are unstoppable, considering the gameplan against them is force them to take perimeter shots
9:32, After Battier hits a 3 a timeout and then the awesome Flu Game commercial for Gatorade comes on, really he is awesome, as great as Lebron has been this postseason, he isn’t Jordan and never will be
This is followed by Evan stubbing his toe and he is limping just to go to the bathroom, very funny to watch as he does is best Paul Pierce wheelchair impersonation.  His pain is truly extraordinary I am not sure if he can make it through the game. 
8:48 Perkins just didn’t contest a Chalmers runner, again I ask, what value is he in this game for OKC
7:28 Kevin Durant hits another bucket to put this game to 7, and that’s followed by a confrontation between him and Chalmers, Durant’s into this he is going to have a big half.
Evan is playing strange music, I am scared.
“Perk we know you can’t do anything on offense so why can’t you just disappear”-Evan’s Scott brooks impersonation
7:00 Battier you are like my favorite player in the NBA, but I don’t like this whole making the Heat win a championship thing
6:32, This foul better be on Perk because that increases his chances of leaving the game on Bosh’s and 1, ok he is still in
6:12, FOUL on Perkins! Great call ref! He is gone!!!!!!!!!
4:46, Derek Fisher solid play with an actual foul instead of just giving up the 3 point play
I’M UTTERLY CONFUSED THAT IN NO WAY WAS A FLAGARANT FOUL I DON’T UNDERSTAND THE CALL! HUGE CALL THERE!
Nick Collison should get in this game, in my opinion he is their best defensive big man, they need his help defense, and also Thabo should be in
4:16, Bad shot by Harden in a huge possession
3:54, This game seems over, 82-63 Miami after a great play by Lebron, they are playing great while OKC is imploding hard to watch
3:40, Another missed 3 by Harden, it is sad to watch I had such high expectations for him and he just is playing awful
3:02, Sequence of bosh 3 Harden charge and Miller 3 to make it a 25 point lead… Wow
2:16, Seems like everyone besides Westbrook has just given up right now have to feel for him
1:23, Never thought I would see OKC give up it’s a disgrace really, I had high expectations for this team, but to see them quit like this is actually more disappointing than Lebron’s performance last year
:31.2, Miller just showed more effort than any OKC guy when they have a 25 point lead, shocking
:05.1, Again Westbrok only guy competing for OKC
End of 3 its 95-71 Miami, I don’t know what to think right now.  
Right now I am so confused on what has happened to the team that won 4 straight against the Spurs then stole game 1 of this series.  They look like 2 completely different teams, the Spurs from the beginning of the postseason looked like the best team to me, but I thought OKC turned a corner in that series.  It just looks like they have completely regressed right now. 
11:40, Another  Miller 3…
11:20, At least Derek Fisher made one again, it’s probably his last Finals one
11:00 Jesus Christ Mike Miller 7 3s today
9:36, That turnover by Durant was awful he looks disengaged out there, followed by a foul
9:17, Never mind that should be Fisher’s retirement 3
Most shocking part of this entire run I must say is how none of this has happened with Perkins on the floor.  I criticized him a lot…. Like a whole lot, but if he is in there I don’t think what transpired would happen
The score is 106-86 with 7:51 left and Miami calls a timeout… very unnecessary. 
Also Thabo has played 9:19 so far right now, personally I think playing your best perimeter defender is probably a good decision when you are playing a team with 3 point shooters along with Lebron and Wade but who am I to say that.
Durant has 32 and 11 right now while scoring efficiently and I feel like he is playing horribly.  He needed to stop that run and just seemed to quit.  It is one thing to lose when the other team is making shots, but I have to say to quit is another level. 
As you have noticed I have quit the whole running dairy gimmick as this game has just become pathetic and not worth writing about. 
Lebron today was exactly the player they needed him to be today.  He went into a special place during Game 6 in Boston, and hasn’t looked back.  He established himself as the best player in the game by a considerable margin and turns the Heat into favorites for next year.  I hate to see it happen but you have to appreciate what Lebron has done this postseason could be matched by few players ever.  He is playing at the highest level a player has played since Jordan has retired.  Better than Kobe, Shaq and Duncan, really the only performance that compares is Wade’s performance in the 06 Finals.
Also at 3:01 we get it, we get what everyone has been waiting for; Juwan Howard has entered the game.  One last thing is that Lebron did this by himself, he was the alpha dog on this team, he was the best player, and he closed.  All the criticism from The Decision needs to end, this guy is the only player in the league who could win a championship with this team, please respect him for it.    
Stay Hungry My Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment