Thursday, March 7, 2013

Standing with Rand

Currently it is 12:48 am Thursday March 7th, 2013 and I have just spent the last 10 hours watching a man literally stand up for what he believed to be right for almost 13 straight hours. This man's name is Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky and with only using his voice and standing on his own two feet Senator Paul brought the business of the United States Government to a screeching halt. How you might ask? Well due to the oldest loophole in the history of the rules of the United States Senate, Senators may hold the floor until they literally can speak no more, this practice is commonly known as the filibuster. Senator Paul was protesting the Obama administration justifying the use of drones to kill American citizens, on American soil.

There came a point when the filibuster itself transcended his message, and the idea that one man standing on a figurative soap box can speak and people will listen came to light. Speaking your voice and knowing it matters and is heard is a principle that is so fundamentally American, and is our most important and sacred right. The true filibuster is the ultimate expression of our first amendment right and shows that just because a majority of people believe something to be true, does not make that thing true or right. As long as Senators continue to filibuster just as Rand Paul did tonight the right of the minority will never be completely taken away. If you take away anything from this post take away this and that is if you have a conviction fight for it and never let anyone take it away.

What Senator Paul did I am sure will be examined and politicized within the next couple of days. This really was not about politics and it is wrong to make it about that. You can ask anyone who knows me, I am a Democrat and proud of it, and I am an Obama supporter and proud of it. Tonight someone informed me and convinced me that the actions of the President are both morally and legally wrong and that as a nation we must hold him accountable. Paul is trying to protect the basis of our laws and legal traditions and make it known that the executive branch over the past two administrations has over stepped it's constitutional boundaries. 

Alright I know this is not a political blog and I have tried to remain neutral throughout this entire entry but I thought this was important. However I am the pop culture end of this blog, so before I leave you, I need you to watch two things. First the 1939 movie called Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, this movie truly captures the romanticism of the filibuster and how powerful and truly awesome it can be. Then the other thing is to watch an episode of the show The West Wing called "The Stackhouse Filibuster" I believe it is in season two, I am not sure. This shows how the Filibuster can get people listening and actually how it affects the government and change things in the country. 

Thanks for listening 
Stay Hungry My Friends 

No comments:

Post a Comment