Thursday, July 26, 2012

And A Thank You to the Director


To me the way to determine who the best director right now is, is to answer this question.  If the only information you know about a movie is who the director whose film would you want to see? To me the answer is quite simple, it is Christopher Nolan.  I have absolutely no idea what movie Christopher Nolan will direct next, I’m not sure if he knows, but I do know one thing, there is a 100% chance that I am going to see it.  Nolan is a genius who knows how to build stories, create and develop characters, unleash unbelievable sequences, and turn it all into a film that anyone would love to see.  He creates summer blockbusters, but destroys the stereotypes of what a summer blockbuster is supposed to be.  He doesn’t make the lighthearted simple story that everyone has come to expect, no he makes the gritty Dark Knight Trilogy, and the creative and thought provoking Inception. 
The greatness of Nolan while forever connected with the Batman movies goes much farther than that though.  To me the best job I have seen done in a film is his direction of the movie Memento.  It is a confusing non-linear story about a man who has short-term memory loss and his quest for the killer of his life.  The way the story is told makes you question your life your sanity, what reality is and the difference between good and evil.  It is a fascinating film and a must watch for any human being who has a Netflix account. 
Also I need to thank Nolan for what he gave to the world in the Dark Knight Trilogy.  As a fan of the character Batman the idea that there could be one great Batman movie let alone 3 seemed extraordinary, especially after considering the last one made was Batman and Robin.  He acted like he wasn’t making a superhero movie, and even downplayed some of the more comic booky themes, but the movies were for true Batman fans.  He created the dark world of Gotham that needed a Batman and the way in which that man would be tested.  The teacher Ra’s al Ghul, the terrifying Joker, the menacing Bane while all played brilliantly be the actors were truly creations of Christopher Nolan’s imagination.  Nolan created a world where these people seemed to be not only believable but real threats.  Nolan summed it up best himself when talking about the movies here, but this quote sums it up best “I will miss the Batman. I like to think that he’ll miss me, but he’s never been particularly sentimental.”  Well I will miss Christopher Nolan leading the Batman universe in film and taking it wherever he pleases, so as always…
Stay Hungry My Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment